Saturday, February 7, 2015

A few words about presentations

I wanted to offer a few comments about presentations in general.

My intention (and yours) should be that this is a learning exercise, so I offer comments on the presentation grading rubric and post it on Blackboard, along with your grade.  In the classroom is one of the few opportunities we ever have to get feedback on our presentation skills, so I will point out anything which I think you might not be aware. This includes:
  • Verbal tics, such as "ums," "ahs" and "like."
  • Appearance. Do you move from side to side, hold your arms, put your hands in your pockets, walk around too much, etc. I look for all of this. This affects your grade, although no one is strongly penalized for these things.
  • Attitude toward the audience. You should face your audience, moving your gaze from person to person, and not focusing exclusively on your slides or notes. Extensively reading your slides is a mistake. (We can do this a little though.)
  • This is not a graphics class, but badly done slides cost you.
I also think that many of us would be well served to ask ourselves "What are the main points of this presentation?" Then, highlight those points. The classic public speaking advice is:
  1. Tell them what you are going to say.
  2. Say it.
  3. Then tell them what you said.
I think it is helpful to both the presenter and the audience to consider "Here are the main points" or "Here are the things I think you should remember."

For graduate students, I am looking for a presentation that has been more carefully considered, that has a beginning, middle and end, and that has clear main points. Your presentation should have something clear to say that relates to the goals of this class. It advances what we know, or opens a new area we should consider that is related to strategic communication and new technology.

Also, graduate students are graded on how well they foster discussion. Both presenter and audience should keep that in mind. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment